Friday 20 May 2011

All about 23 Things

So what is '23 Things' anyway?
23 Things is a self-directed course aimed at introducing you to a range of tools that could help your personal and professional development as a librarian, information professional or something else.  Each week, we'll write about one or more tool from our list of 23 things and invite you to try it out and/or reflect on how it could help your professional development.  Some of the tasks will be practical Things for you to try out straight away, and some of them will be less immediate: ideas to try in the future, or things you can start working towards now and realise in due course or when opportunity arises!

Who's it for?
23 Things for Professional Development is for anyone who thinks they might benefit from it. You don't have to be a qualified anything, you don't have to work in a particular sector or location, you don't have to be in work, you don't have to be at library school... If you think you can learn from this then please take part!

How do I take part?
To take part, you'll need to set up your own blog (don't panic - that'll be explained in the first Thing!), register it with us (we'll explain that too) and use it to reflect on each Thing that we cover.  If you already have a blog, you can used that to participate cpd23: no need to start a new one (unless you want to).  

What if I need help?
Then please ask us!  We'll be trying to give very clear instructions on the technical aspects of each Thing, but if anything's unclear then please comment on the blog or tweet @cpd23 and we'll try and help out. We're hoping that a wide spectrum of people will be taking part, so you can also ask fellow participants for assistance and make the most of their knowledge too.  This programme is all about learning from each other, so don't be afraid to ask people questions or to answer them!

Acknowledgements
23 Things for Professional Development was inspired by 23 Things Cambridge, and is based on the original 23 Things programme that ran at the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County in the USA in 2006.

14 comments:

  1. This is such great idea! Looking forward to taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting things. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed my participation so far...nice idea this is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found out about this course, is it too late to join. I see that people are on thing 5, can I join now and catch up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Derek,

    Yes it's absolutely OK to sign up now. The course is self-directed and self-paced, meaning that you can do the Things whenever you have time.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    My blog is Agent Paper, could you add a tag for academic libraries on my Delicious entry? I've also worked in acadenic libraries. I'm really enjoying participating in the programme, hanks!

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long will the content be available? Is it going to be removed when the course ends? Hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fiona,

    The content definitely won't be removed immediately when the course ends. I don't think we've decided how long it will stay up, but it will be around for a good while yet.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thanks to all that were involved in making this program possible. I have now completed all 23 things and would like to know if there is a certificate given out (that can be downloaded and printed) to participants that successfully complete the program? It would be nice to have something to add to my personal file that indicated this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. Please could you change the tag on my blog to the medical/health category? Should have let you know sooner, but I've been working, mirabile dictu, for the past nine weeks.
    I know I'm way behind, but my posts don't seem to show up in the feed in the left-hand side panel either (e.g. http://www.roper.org.uk/tr/2011/10/cpd-23-thing-17-the-medium-is-the-message-prezi-and-slideshare.html, blogged yesterday.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tom,

    Hurrah for you having work! I'll make those changes later today.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find these blogspot pages crash quite often. Is it me -is there something I can do? Fine with other webpages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just this blog or all blogspot sites? I haven't had a problem myself. You could follow using RSS or by subscribing by email if that helps?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.